Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Operation Write Home

It's great to be home!  If you have ever been away from your home and loved ones for any length of time, you know how important those ties are.  We were just away for two weeks, but one week was with very limited cell and internet service, and we felt kind of isolated.  I recall what it was like when we lived in Japan during Bob's military career, and we were expecting our first child... home was very far away.  And we were together.... I also know how much EVERY letter meant to Doug when he served his mission in Argentina.  Today we sent a package to our niece who is serving in Afghanistan, and in with the goodies was a nice big stack of cards for her to use, and to share with the other troops who are serving in difficult circumstances with no Walmart or Hallmark to go to for a birthday, anniversary or thinking of you card. I am also hosting a group this week to work on cards for OPERATION WRITE HOME.org    Since 2007 this group of volunteers has sent over 1,725,000 cards for our serving heroes to send back home to their family and friends. They need our help!  So this week, I am challenging all of you to join in!!!  My  UStream Class for Tuesday night will be an informational piece about OWH, but also a great tutorial on making cards for the troops.  I will be hosting a card party here in my neighborhood on Thursday, and beginners and experienced folks will all come together to work side by side to create these precious cards, as well as notes of encouragement and gratitude for those serving so far from home.  If you are in the area, I do hope you will come by... if not, please consider participating in your location, and send your cards to OWH, or to me, and I will be sure to get them to the right place!
We CAN do this!


Here is my first card for this week's effort!  I signed up to be a CLOSE TO MY HEART consultant today, and I have used the ART PHILOSOPHY Cricut Cartridge to cut the circular elements for my card.  The card sketch was on the OWH blog, making it fun to follow.  I haven't gotten my kit, so these CTMH papers are not in the current line, but pretty all the same.  The stamp is from the Card Chatter-Sympathy set (D1476), which is loaded with great sentiments for outside and inside of your cards.



It's a funny thing how life happens :)  April is now my "upline" and I was the one who kept asking her if she knew anyone in CTMH so we could get these great products!!  Well, now YOU know where to get them!  LOL

Remember, create something to make someone smile today, especially yourself!  Hope to see you in my UStream class at 8:00 tonight.  Click on the blue icon in the upper right corner of this blog and it will take you to my channel. 

Happy crafting!


Photobucket

No comments: