Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another Travelogue




Before I post tomorrow's card introducing the new Cuttlebug Stars folder, I wanted to take a moment and share a few Washington, D.C. photos that I took last week. I didn't post the most often seen tourist shots, perhaps, but maybe ones you haven't seen yet. I hope you enjoy them.


Different kinds of photos tomorrow.




This is the Korean War memorial. The images on the wall are just like ghosts looking at you. The faces of the patrol were mature men, where the VietNam soldiers appeared so often to be boys. Very, very powerful.
This is the 9/11 Memorial on the grounds of the Pentagon. I wasn't even aware that there is a memorial there, and how poignant it is. There are 184 benches, each with running water beneath them. The names of the victims are engraved in the end of the bench, and also on a plaque in the water. They are lined in rows according to the year of their birth. The profound gut punch in this is the row after row from 1939 through 1979, and then there is a gap....and then three separate benches...one for each of the little ones that perished on the plane. The benches are placed facing toward or away from the building depending on whether the vicitm was stationed at the Pentagon or not. If you are ever in the D.C. area, it is one stop to be sure to make. It is right below the new Air Force Memorial that stands on the hill overlooking the site. My brother-in-law was standing right there just moments after the plane hit the building that fateful day........




This is my Granddaughter on the grounds of the LDS Temple in Washington, D.C. This is a very special place to our family, and we go there whenever we have the opportunity. It was closed when we got there that night, but even a picture is something special.....isn't it gorgeous??

More tomorrow! I hope you've been enjoying our "chick trip".....I've tried not to lock the doors, and turn on the slide projector with 10,000 slides of our summer vacation!!!!
I hope you are having a good summer :o)
Back to Crafting!!
BettyBee





No comments: